Preparing to move across state lines? Here are five tips unique to moving to a new state!
- Understand who your movers are going to be. Are they located in the state that you are moving to or are they located in the state that you are moving from? Will they contract out a third party to help you at the origin or destination? You will want to carefully review your contract and ask questions. If you are moving out of Michigan, Mulder’s Moving will pack you up and you will have a driver from our company taking you to your destination. We have partners that we work with in other states that will help with unpacking on that end. You will always have a familiar face with you from Mulder’s Moving and Storage!
- There are going to be items that we can’t move. These include plants, pets, propane tanks, firearms and more. These guidelines are set forth in law and we must abide by them. You will need to plan to move these in your own vehicle, so leave room when you pack in the family – or plan to take two different vehicles!
- Exchange contact information. Typically, a moving truck is going to travel more slowly than you are in your vehicle. Take into account stops and drive breaks that our drivers are required to take, and it can be a pain for you to try to follow the truck. Instead, make sure the driver has the correct destination and make sure that you exchange contact information with the company. Then, you can travel at your own pace and meet them at the destination. Keep in mind that your arrival times are going to be different, so exercise patience! If you need to touch base or if there are troubles while en route, you can keep connected.
- Update all of your accounts when you move. This includes medical records, utilities, monthly bills and more. While mail forwarding may be possible, it is not always reliable. Updating this information as soon as possible will help make for a smoother transition.
- Be sure that your company has the proper paperwork and clearance to move you across state lines. Law requires specific standards are met when traveling over state lines. Ensuring that your company is reliable, reputable, and has the necessary clearance is necessary. At Mulder’s, we partner with Wheaton Van Lines and have all of the measures in place for traveling state to state.